Thursday 28 July 2016

“You Should Get Skepta To Bring Me Into BBK” – Burna Boy

 

Top Nigerian music act, Burna Boy during his interview with British radio presenter Julie, revealed he would love to join Skepta’s BBK movement.

The dancehall singing sensation, during the interview spoke to Julie about certain things including: growing up in Nigeria and the United Kingdom, his music projects and more.

Below are some excerpts from the interview:

On the first time coming to London

The first time I came to London was like on a visiting ting, that was like when I was 6 or 7, living is real different, especially the cold, I was sick a lot. I was in Brixton, South London. My family is really musically orientated, my grandad used to manage Fela Kuti, and basically I didn’t really think anything of it at the time, I really wasn’t about the Afrobeats life at the time, I was listening to DMX you get me, I was more on the rap ting. Obviously, as time went by, I went back to Nigeria, discovered my roots, not discovered, just like appreciated it, and just came to terms, it just started spilling into my music and into everything I did. It was just Africa to the world.

What’s your favourite Fela Kuti tune?

It’s got to be “Coffin For Head of State”. The first time I heard it, I had a tear come out of my eye, it was so deep, and this guy is going on about it, they killed his mum, for me to hear that and coming from a Nigerian point, it was really touching because I could feel everything he was saying, and with the whole band, the whole composition of the music and that, it’s deep. It really taught me a lot.

On future music/collaborating

Just more international, more music, you don’t stop working. You should get Skepta to bring me into BBK, me and Jammer would just… Nah it’s just the energy, it’s just everything I can relate to.

On playing at Hammersmith Apollo

It’s my first show in the UK, it’s a movie, it’s been 3 years of planning and it’s here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...