Thursday 28 July 2016

US Rapper, Desiigner Talks Future Comparisons; Buying ‘Panda’ Beat for $200


Desiigner is ready to set himself apart. When he’s not catching Pokémon, the “Panda” hitmaker sat down with Interview to discuss buying the “Panda” instrumental for $200 and the ever-present comparisons to Future.

During the Q&A, the G.O.O.D. Music spitter was asked what differentiates him from the “Wicked” MC.

“My style, my funk, my performance, my charisma, the way I deliver my songs,” he replied. “That’s what makes me different. I stay humble. The second you see me on stage doing my thing, you know I’m not like the rest. I stay crazy.”

Despite this, comparisons have plagued Desiigner since he launched his career with “Panda.” For his part, Future has not taken kindly to the young rapper. In April, the EVOL MC threw shade at him in concert and in his Rolling Stone cover story, in which he didn’t want Desiigner’s name mentioned.

But Desiigner hasn’t strayed from the comparisons. He even performed Future’s DJ Khaled and Jay Z collaboration “I Got the Keys” during a recent gig.

Read highlights from the Interview Q&A below.

On buying the “Panda” beat for $200: “My homies and I were in the crib and we were smoking a whole bunch of weed, you know, playing GTA [Grand Theft Auto], when my boys started playing a track on the computer that caught everybody’s ear. I was always the one that cooked up the hooks in the hood, so, my boy asked me if I could cook up some flavor for the beat and I said, ‘You know, give me two days.’ The beat was right there on YouTube–a real Lloyd Banks type beat, and two days later, I gave it to y’all.”

On his name: “I got my name, Desiigner, from my brother-in-law. I took what he said and decided to use it. He was like, ‘Yo, bro, you got to design your name.’ He said I should put my real middle name on it, so it’d be ‘Designer Royel,’ and I was running with that for a second. I thought it looked a little long and so did my sister, so she said I should take off the ‘Royel’ and just add an extra ‘I’ and the rest is history. We makin’ history now, you feel me?”

On his family’s singing tradition: “Actually, if you listen to the vocals on my grandfather’s records you will hear we sound similar. We both sound kind of dry. We have a dry voice and we both love harmony–he was a man of harmony, I’m a man of harmony. I think it just runs in our blood. Everybody in my family sings. We were either in a choir or there was something going on at home where we were singing. I was ‘that singing dude.’ At school I’d be the dude singing to the girls, always up in the auditorium, in the lunch room singing Christmas carols, in the halls between class. I was always singing, and same thing with my grandfather. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, you know how that goes. It just runs in my family. Music always lived with me, like a family tradition.”

On working with “Panda” producer Menace: “We speak to this day; we have our little conversations. He’s on his platforms and I’m on mine. He might even be on the album soon; maybe we’ll even do an album together or something. I’m a man of process. You know how that goes.”

On collaborations:
“Being on Kanye’s [G.O.O.D. Music] label has already been great, so honestly, I would love to work with anyone out there that’s creative and can vibe with me–could be a bird down the block–anyone who feels me, I am willing to work with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...